WIN EVERY DAY!
the 8th International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival Docudays UA starts in Kyiv
On March 25-31, Docudays UA International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival will be held in Cinema House (vul. Saksahanskoho, 6) and the German Culture Centre “Goethe-Institut” (vul. Voloska, 12/4).
Traditionally, Docudays UA gathers all top-hits of world documentary, famous directors and successful producers, and organizes workshops of world-leading filmmakers and discussions with directors.
The favorite of many international festivals – The Other Chelsea – A Story from Donetsk, by German filmmaker Jakob Preuss will open Docudays UA. For the festival opening on March 25 Jakob Preuss has invited three Donetsk miners, the protagonists of his film. We kindly invite you to interview them at the briefing and also after the screening.
This year Docudays UA joined the international campaign “Empty Chair” in support of human rights activist, Nobel Prize Laureate Liu Xiaobo.
At Docudays UA, films are divided in two competitions – the “Art Competition” and the “Human Rights Competition”. Every competition has its own prize fund. There is students’ jury, which chooses the best films since 2009. Traditionally, the audience chooses its winner via anonymous questionnaire.
Since 2010, the Organizing Committee of Docudays UA gives a special prize in memory of friend and festival producer Andrii Matrosov. The Docudays UA team will reward a film which is full of love.
The hosts of the opening ceremony are journalists Iehor Sobolev and Marichka Padalko.
Traditionally all screenings are free.
We are pleased to invite you to the other Dcudays UA events
- On March 25 at 6 pm a briefing with Jakob Preuss, director of the opening film, and also the jury members – director Marcin Koszalka (Poland), producer Uldis Cekulis (Latvia), director Manon Loizeau (France) and human rights activist Niels Jacob Harbitz (Norway) will be held in the Blue Hall of Cinema House.
- On March 26 at 12 pm the awards ceremony for the winners of the All-Ukrainian Caricatures Contest and exhibition opening will be held. This year the contest is dedicated to the problems of freedom of speech, peaceful assembly and association in Ukraine (Lobby, Cinema House).
- On March 26 at 11 am a master class “How to protect from unlawful acts of militia” will be held. The master class will be given by well known human rights activists: Head of the board of Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union Arkadii Buschenko and Head of NGO “Monitoring Center of Human Rights Safety of Cherkasy” Volodymyr Batchaiev (Blue Sitting Room in Cinema House).
Also in the program:
- Master class and retrospective screenings of Czech documentary legend Miroslav Janek.
- Spring romantic panorama New Baltic Cinema, which will be presented by Latvian producer Uldis Cekulis.
- Special screening of “Murders in Numbers in Putin’s Land” and meeting with the director, the famous French filmmakerManon Loizeau.
- Presentation of two new films of one of the brightest modern Polish documentary directors Marcin Koszalka and an exclusive chance to debate with author.
- Special guest: popular Russian director Pavel Kostomarov will present his first screening in Ukraine of films “I Love You” and “Tugather”.
- Workshop by Dragon Forum Academy & Docudays UA: From Concept to Viewer. Development of the documentary project. Training programs 2011—2012 for documentary directors and producers in Poland and Ukraine, and project market in Cracow.
- “Two nights with friends”. In Cinema Hall of the German Culture Centre “Goethe-Institut” screenings of best Docudays UA friends – festivals Verzio (Hungary), Watch Docs (Poland) and ZubrOFFka (Poland) will be held.
Follow all event announcements on the festival’s website www.docudays.org.ua
Kateryna Babkina, cell. + 38 067 946 06 50, firstname.lastname@example.org
Yuliya Milaya, cell. + 38 050 515 07 44, email@example.com
Download Press release .doc